Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Turntable Fun...

No, I'm not a dj. However, something popped into my head a long time ago and I'm finally getting a chance to give it a go. I thought it would be interesting to put a canvas on a turntable/record player and paint while it's spinning. See what kind of weird stuff would come out. I started looking for a turntable and balked at the prices. Through a lucky coincidence, and a whole lot of stuff in storage at my parents' place, I now own a turntable. Turns out my parents were cleaning out their store room (which was housing a bunch of stuff for my brother and I) so we got all our stuff back. No, I still haven't found homes for it all... been kind of busy. :) Anyway, in my brother's stuff was this old record player that was missing a needle. He decided it was too expensive to buy a new needle so he left it with some stuff to go the a thrift store. I heard the conversation, yet somehow managed to completely tune out the part about the record player until today, when Chris was going to take some stuff out of the house. He happened to mention that it was in the box of my brother's stuff and I had one of those lightbulb moments... the kind where the information was totally in your brain, you just hadn't connected it properly. So, almost popping up out of my chair, I asked  him to retrieve it from the box, and now I have it down in my 'studio' to use for the occasional painting experiment. Starting tonight!

SO much fun! Tonight's painting is called "Dizzy" because it's what I was after watching the canvas spin around and around for awhile. Very mesmerizing for sure. I think as I play with it some more they'll come out with some great stuff. Still experimenting, but I think it turned out pretty well all the same.

I was asked to paint a canvas for a fundraiser for a friend, so I tried a second turntable painting with a different approach. I hope she likes it, but if not it's always a great learning experience. I'm hoping that she'll be able to mention this project at the fundraiser. Any and all exposure will help in the long run!

Along with that thought, I think I'm going to send an email to Olga Milosevich at CBC. I met her years ago at the Multicultural Festival and sort of kept in touch. Who knows, maybe this sort of thing is something she'd be interested in talking about. I know it's early days, but why not? I'm excited about the possibilities that are out there. I'm also very happy to be doing this.

A quick thank you to Dan at Michael's... spoke with him today as I bought some more canvasses (they were having a great sale today, another lucky fluke) and he said that he would try to get me a discount the next time I went in. Apparently they don't sponsor per se, but hey, a discount helps! So, thanks Dan... for that and for your help today.

I'm now going to go to bed with "two turntables and a microphone" repeating in my brain. Ah, the price for wacky creativity. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog