Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day Six and going strong!

After looking at this evening's painting, which I started yesterday and abandoned, I figured I'd rework some of the colour choices to make it better. I think that's what got me down on it last night. So... switched a few squares around and was much happier. The painting is called Magic Square because that's what it is... if you look hard enough.

Waaaay back when I was in grade 7 we had a super awesome substitute teacher. I can't remember his name anymore, but he was really great. He was big on the puzzles. Word puzzles, math puzzles... whatever. I think the class really enjoyed it when he was our sub. Can't say we got a whole lot of regular work done, but so be it. :) One of the puzzles was to take the numbers one through nine and arrange them in a grid so that their totals would be the same (15) in any direction. I don't know why that stuck with me, but there's a trick to it... I can even do a square with the numbers 1-25. Whee... useless trivia! Came in handy for this painting though. :)

So... I wanted to do something fun for kids... so I did the square with bugs. Biologists might cringe at that since I suppose spiders are not insects, and moths and butterflies are probably not that closely related to mythical beetles and bees. However... I had fun with it and I hope some kid out there will too.

I also got permission from some of my bellydance friends to use their dance photos as inspiration for some upcoming work. Laura Selenzi and Trina Oickle-Pottie are amazing local (professional) dancers and I admire them both a great deal. Besides being talented and gorgeous, they are also kind. Just the kind of people I am grateful to have involved with this project. :) So, thanks ladies... I'll let you know when your paintings are done. :)

Well, it's late (again)... so I'm off to bed. I am excited about the six paintings I have finished and can't wait to post the week's work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog