Total Pageviews

Monday, January 17, 2011

January 17

Seriously? It's the 17th already? I look around my basement and see seventeen paintings (ok, technically 18 since one of them requires two canvasses, but whatever). I think this is the most I've painted in years! I'm loving it!!

Tonight I decided to try painting a fairy. Why? Because, for the most part, they're pretty and happy and just a little mysterious. My sister has a good sized collection of fairy-related things in her apartment and when we were out visiting this past autumn I got to take a look. I remember flipping through a gigantic book on the subject and looking at all the different kinds of fairies that have been depicted over the years. I even have the Lady Cottington's pressed fairy book that I picked up at a yard sale one year because I thought it looked fun.

My fairy is not a pressed fairy though... just a little flying fairy in the moonlight. So, I called the painting "Night Flight" and I can imagine she's off to her little fairy bed somewhere, maybe in a hollow tree, or perhaps in a flower. Or, maybe she's going to a fairy meeting in some forest glen. Open to interpretation. :)

My wonderful husband got a good chuckle at me though... after all the complaining I do about comic book women and their impossibly skinny waists and enormous 'assets', my fairy is also skinny. Meh... what can I say? She was easier to draw that way? Maybe I just want to be skinnier myself and so that is reflected in the art? I guess I'll use the 'she's not human' excuse to justify the magically thin waist and long legs. :) Next time I'll draw a pleasantly plump little fairy instead. Perhaps that'll be tomorrow's painting. I can see it now... she'll be sitting on a rock or something, enjoying the sunshine. Nice counter piece. We'll see... until then, off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog