Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Childhood Favourite

When I was little my mom had this set of Noddy books that were a mix of books she and her sisters had from their childhood and, I presume, new ones that she collected for me. Now they sit on a bookshelf in my son's room and we've read through them about three times, some books even more. I even went so far as to buy the ones we were missing so now we have a complete set! The books are dated in some ways... kind of leave an uncomfortable feeling in places, but we sort of edit as we read. Anyway... the point... Chris found a dvd at the library of an animated Noddy series and we thought we'd share them with our son. Tonight as I was getting ready to paint I put it in the dvd player just to see (since we haven't gotten around to watching anything this week). It's always weird to see a beloved group of book characters on the screen. Nothing ever seems quite how you'd imagine it to be. However, it was fun and I'm sure that if our son watched it he'd probably like it. One of the episodes had Sly and Gobbo Goblin in it. They're often the "bad guys" though rather inept. I decided that I would use them as inspiration for tonight's painting.

The painting is a goblin, somewhat like the ones on the series, though not exactly since I had turned it off by the time I actually got to painting. I made his skin green... not sure why, but I did. When I was done I thought his expression was of jealousy... and I think that fits since one episode (yes I watched more than one) the goblins were envious of Noddy's car and stole it. Then, they drove it through town to show off. D'oh. As I said, inept. I called the painting "Jealousy" to go with the goblin's expression.

It's a 4x5 stretched canvas and painted with acrylics as usual. It's pretty simple, and I don't think I got the body quite right, but I like the way the face turned out. Maybe I'll do some more goblins at some point. Makes for good practice for emotions and expressions. :)

I hope everyone is well and happy. For now, I'll bid you good night. It feels like it ought to be Thursday, but it's not. Good thing too or I'd be short a few paintings! Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog