Total Pageviews

Monday, February 28, 2011

Final Element

Ah... having a productive day feels so good... especially when it's time for bed! I got the second coat of paint up on the basement walls this evening, snuck in a workout at the gym this afternoon while the kids were asleep (Chris was home!), made a new dish for supper - a total experiment - and it worked out rather well, got tonight's painting done, and now it's time for some reading before bed. :)

Tonight I did the final of the four elements... Earth. I think I must have known this one would be the hardest and so saved it for last. I was trying to explain why to Chris... and I think it has to do with movement. He said something about it not fitting with the others quite as well... and I said that it's because the others are in constant motion whereas Earth is not so much. Well, unless you count landslides and tectonic plate shifts, but I figured those weren't a constant natural state so didn't want to try painting those. Instead I painted "Low Tide". It made me think of the mud flats at Five Island National Park. We walked on them once and it was pretty cool. It's easy to think of Earth as the regular soil/dirt that we can see all the time, but the crust of the Earth extends below the oceans as well. It's like secret dirt. :) Anyway, I threw in a mixture of browns as well as some white (for the Caribbean beaches and sea shells), some red (good ol' PEI), and some yellow (because Earth can also be sand from the desert). I'm not sure how it will turn out when it has dried, but I guess we'll wait and see tomorrow. Sorry, I'll see it tomorrow, you all have to wait until Friday. :)

I'm thinking my next 'series' of paintings will be the twelve signs of the zodiac. Should be interesting... some will be easier than others for sure!

Anyway... here's to happy thoughts of warming up the Earth. Three more weeks until the first day of Spring! I noticed yesterday that it was still light out at 5pm. Makes me smile. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... If you only do the original 12 zodiak signs, I'm sure the new 13th sign will feel very left out.

    :)

    (After 25 years of being a Gemini, I was a little saddened to discover I was suddenly a Taurus.)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog