Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Disappointed

Ok... I'll say it. I don't much like tonight's painting. I did... but then I didn't think it was finished somehow. Then tried to fix what I added which didn't work out... fixed some more... oh it just goes on from there. Sometimes you just have to put the brush down and walk away. I almost started a whole new painting, but frankly, it's late and I'm just not up to it. Who knows... perhaps inspiration will hit and I can do something with it... or maybe I'll look at it in a few days and think it turned out just fine. Maybe someone else will love it. It's like anything... when you're too close you can't think clearly about it.

I started too late this evening... that's probably part of it. I felt a bit rushed, a bit devoid of ideas... and definitely irritated with myself for letting it get so late. I spent most of my evening baking cookies for my son's birthday party, then washing a small mountain of dishes, and then starting to paint. Oh listen to me... whining for what? Sorry... shouldn't even be posting when I'm in a feeling sorry for myself mood. Blech.

Every night I try to think of three good things about my day... so that my petty concerns seem smaller and inconsequential. I post them on my facebook page and on more than one occasion someone has thanked me for doing it because it helps them see the positives in their day. I think it's a very valuable exercise for anyone. Too often we get bogged down in what we don't like, wish we had done differently, a perceived insult, whatever. It's all around us in the news, our friends complaints, difficult moments during the day etc. It's a much better expenditure of energy to think of happy thoughts, positive moments, and especially if you've had a hard time with someone to think of something good that happened with them too.
I guess in terms of tonight's painting, I can be happy that I tried something that was in my head and that I hope someone will like it. It's called "In a Dream" because the colours are not where you'd think they should be. There is a toe dipped in reality, but skewed enough that it seems unreal. At least, that's what I was going for when I started!

So, happy thoughts to you... think of three good things when you feel the going get tough. Tomorrow is another day. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog