Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday Night Already?

Hoo boy... that weekend just raced by! I can hardly believe I'm down one week of the first fifteen (semester 1).

I did another turntable painting tonight... as was the plan. I like to do the whole week like that for consistency and to see what they all turn out like together. I called it "Katia" after the hurricane that's brewing. Not because it really reminded me of a hurricane, though it is cool colours and in concentric circles, but because it's topical and I like the name Katia. I think it sounds exotic. More interesting to me than Katie for example. Perhaps that's just because I'm more likely to hear Katie than Katia. Perhaps elsewhere in the world Katie is the exotic choice. You have got to love perspective and how we're so alike and so different all at the same time.

I'd like to wish my brother-in-law, Devin, a very happy birthday! He and his lovely (and new) wife are off on their honeymoon. They went to Greece lucky devils. :) Someday I will go... someday. :)

I'd also like to just briefly share my own 9/11 recollection since it is the tenth anniversary of one of our generations tragic events. That morning I was off to class at University, and passed the lounge for my department. The television was on and the planes had just gone through the buildings. I didn't stop to watch because I was in a hurry... and more tellingly, I thought they were watching a movie. I say tellingly, because it just isn't something you'd ever think would actually happen in real life. Can you tell how sheltered our generation is? Anyway, it wasn't until the first class where the professor said something about how studying drama might seem a little light and inappropriate given the morning's events that I realized (out loud) that it was the news and not a show they were watching. That was a shock. Not as much of  one as the poor people in the planes, the buildings and on the ground, but still... it jarred and I hope it continues to jar, if for no other reason than to challenge how we think and feel about ourselves, the choices we make, the people we love, and how we live our lives. I've been perusing the topical status updates on facebook and I saw a quote I thought was particularly appropriate: "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." - Mahatma Ghandi

Anyway... a little life lesson about treating everyone with dignity and respect regardless of whether or not you agree with them. Revenge is petty and worthless, and putting some love and positive energy into the world in the face of sadness and loss is a much more constructive use of your time.

Have a great night and a wonderful Monday morning. Think of me at 5am when I drag myself out of bed. I love what I'm doing, but I sure wish it didn't start quite so early! Nighty-night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog