Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bubble Dreams and Calling Dibs

I had a memory just now of my grade six teacher Mrs. Smith (really, that's her name) reading Roald Dahl's book The BFG to us. In the story the BFG (Big Friendly Giant) catches dreams for human children to enjoy. I really liked that story, both for the actual story and for hearing it read aloud as a kid. I highly recommend it to the young and young-at-heart. The reason it popped into my mind is because tonight I finished my painting of a bubble fairy. It's an 8x10 with a watercolour background and the fairy and bubbles are done with acrylics. The fairy is catching a large bubble and there are various sized bubbles all around. I decided to call the painting "Dream Catcher". It wasn't until I was sitting down at the computer that I thought about the BFG and his dreams. I don't know, might just be a coincidence, or it might be a sign that I should read the book again. I think it's still a little beyond my son just yet... but someday I hope to read it out loud for him.

Chris has made a suggestion about the paintings... he figures I should open it up for people to reserve paintings they want. I would set a base price for them and then people can call 'dibs' or actually pay for them. I sort of wanted to display them all at some point for a big event/sale, but I realize now that the timing of this project doesn't really lend itself that well to that idea. If I wait until the whole year goes by, then we miss out on Christmas and we end up trying to sell them in January when no one has any real interest in spending more money. So... here's the idea:

Stretched Canvasses: Small paintings - $40
Large Paintings (5x7 and up) - $60.
Boards: $20.
All sales, plus shipping costs if needed.

I figure if they don't sell during the year we may end up with an auction/sale closer to November/December and I'd bet the starting price would be lower. However, this is for the Children's Wish Foundation and the goal is to raise as much as we can to help grant some wishes for some amazing kids. On that note, if you'd like to pay/donate more for a painting please feel free! I also want to remind everyone that the CWF is getting 100% of the profits of this fundraiser. Not a portion of each painting, not just some small percentage of the money, but 100% of the profits.

So... how to reserve? Well, I think the best way is to send me an email. I'm going to make myself a document to track which ones go early, and I will mark on the gallery pages which ones are spoken for. That being said, if you want to reserve a painting but don't end up making payment arrangements (which could vary from person to person), it's going to be sold to someone else. The goal is to sell them all for the kids.

My email: jcope18@yahoo.com

I think that covers everything... if you're living farther away from me (Dartmouth, NS) you might want to check shipping prices in advance. :) I'll make another post just about this in a day or two... just to be official. If anyone reads this, figures I'm insane and wants to make a suggestion, send me an email. I welcome feedback as always. Until then... good night!

1 comment:

  1. Is it possible to put all the pics in a gallery so they can be viewed at once? I have trouble knowing where to go to look at your paintings.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog