Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Red Planet

Tonight's painting, "Mars" sort of reminds me of a tomato. I used the gel medium and five different shades of red to get some longer lasting texture. I then decided to add a little polar ice cap. After I finished that I kind of thought it looked like a tomato with a white stem thing. Ah well... guess it could go either way! Whatever strikes your fancy. That's one nice thing about abstract... it can be all sorts of different things to different people... or change depending on your mood.

I was struck with a memory of high school earlier today. Not a time period I tend to dwell on (as it goes for many people I'm sure)... but our grade 12 art class did self-portraits for one of the main units. I did mine sort of realistically, but yet not. Some people went for hyper realism.... and the really talented ones (two girls I really remember, Kate and Bonnie) had paintings that I swear I thought were enlarged photographs they were that real. Others went for abstract/surreal/etc... it was a very cool project. I still have my self-portrait... not that I'd probably show it to anyone. It's a project that has the potential to make one very uncomfortable. I remember feeling very awkward and self-conscious trying to paint myself. Some parts I think I got right, others, well, not so much. Maybe sometime this year I'll give it another go... maybe not. I'd have to buy that one and stash it with the high school attempt! Can't say I really like photos of me much either. I'm usually the one holding the camera! Anyway... part of the memory made me wonder whatever happened to the other people in my art class... the ones who went on to OCAD or other art schools... sometimes I randomly google a name I remember. Just to see.

Well, that's my ramble for the evening... thanks to the loyal few who keep peeking at my musings. It's always nice to see that someone other than me has popped by. :) What can I say? I'm easy to please. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog