Total Pageviews

Monday, June 13, 2011

Drama, Emotions & the ER

I want to start this out with: Chris is ok. He is sick... got an infection... but he is ok. Now I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Today was not a particularly fun day... Chris has been sick for about a week and a half. Started with a cold, and over the weekend ended up with tummy troubles. Unfortunately, with the strike, he doesn't get paid for sick leave... so he's been going to work sick and subsequently not getting any better. Well, today it kind of peaked... he was feeling terrible again this morning but felt we couldn't afford to lose a day's pay so went in anyway... I spoke with him in the morning and he was "feeling pretty bad, but ok to work" and so it went. Around lunchtime the posties were having a meeting so thankfully he was in lots of company. He started feeling really awful and had a bunch of symptoms that were in common with a heart attack. He's a young, healthy, strong guy so it probably wasn't anything to do with his heart (and wasn't as it turned out) but there was enough worry that an ambulance was called and he did eventually go with the paramedics to the ER. One of his co-workers and a supervisor called me at home to let me know. Well wasn't that just a joy. I, of course, freaked out... and quickly made arrangements to join him at the hospital. Remember we have two small kids, one of whom was still asleep from her morning nap... the other should have been heading off for quiet time. So... I called my wonderful and awesome neighbour who immediately dropped everything and came over. Helped to calm me down a bit and did a fantastic job juggling my kids (my little girl was so not happy to wake up and find Mommy missing!). Then I called my friend Nikki who has never ever let me down. She also paused her life (apparently we had good timing because her son had just finished lunch) and they came to pick me up and drive me into Halifax. She stayed outside in the car until I let her know I was staying. So, stayed with Chris in the ER for a few hours while a bunch of tests were run and we were let out. Chris is not supposed to work for the rest of the week and must get rest. It's ironic because just this morning I was nagging him (my wifely duty) to go see a doctor today since it's a bit nuts how awful he was feeling and how long it was lasting. He had agreed. Guess it was that time after all! Anyway... bottom line, yes he is definitely sick and should be resting up. Better to go get things checked out and find out it's not a "heart event" after all. We have the best friends and the cookies I baked tonight to say thanks don't ever measure up to the gratitude I feel for the support and help those two amazing ladies sent my way today. Without hesitation.

How many of us have those people? How many of us can honestly say we are those people? There's a lyric in a Bruno Mars song "Count on Me" that says we "Find out what we're made of, When we are called to help our friends in need". I hope I am that person. Life is hard... but it's a little easier when we have a friend.

Anyway... that was my day in a nutshell... tonight I asked my son what I should paint and he said lots of Frogbots. So... I did a spin on the See No Evil etc monkeys with three Frogbots and called it "...No Evil". I think it's rather cute. :) It was nice to do something lighthearted at the end of the day. Oh, and I delivered a tub of cookies to my neighbours. Chocolate chip cookies (from scratch) are my thank you currency of choice. That and hoping that they know I'd do the same for them.

Well, it's late (again) and I'm going to collapse into bed. I won't even elbow Chris to make him stop snoring... because, well, that'd be mean. Maybe just a gentle nudge. ;) Good night everyone... look on the bright side of life, thank your friends, be a friend, and the world will be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog