Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

On an emotional rollercoaster...

The past week or so has been hard for me for some reason. It's not really raining constantly anymore so I can't blame the weather... but I can't figure out why I can't seem to stay happy. I'll be doing just fine and then suddenly down in a funk and feeling adrift. So bizarre. Today was like that... for example, I went to the bodycombat class at the gym (possibly my last one) and was quite happy. Left feeling ok, but by the time I got to the grocery store (in the same plaza) I was feeling all melancholy again. So strange... to be happy one minute and sad the next with no discernible reason? Just plain weird. Here's hoping the upcoming trip will jolt me out of my up and down blues. It's hard to be unhappy when visiting family. :)

I decided to call last night's painting "Spring Puddles"... just in case anyone was curious. Tonight I did a 4x5 painting that I'm calling "Winter Package" because it sort of reminds me of a birthday present with ribbons on it, but has cool colours and a base of white that I hope will keep the brushstroke textures. It made me think of a blanket of snow and I allowed some of the white to come through the ribbons.

I'm still foolishly reading articles on the CBC website... which wouldn't be so bad if I stopped at the end of the article. But... I keep looking at the comment section and becoming enraged and sickened at the sheer nastiness of so many of the people leaving comments. It's disgraceful. I don't know why people feel the need to spill their vitriol over the internet. My mom always said (and still does) "If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I think that is a wonderful sentiment and we'd all do a lot better in life if we followed it. That and the golden rule... treat others the way you'd like to be treated. I figure that's a pretty good umbrella for all of life and if you aim for that then you should be doing ok. No one is perfect... but we can try our best. I would think that translates to not spewing out viciousness for no real reason. None of those comments is going to have a direct result on the postal situation... it's just hostility and nastiness in a world where quite enough of that already exists. No need to add more thanks.

So... on that note, here's a fun happy note... we've found a few schools that might be a good fit for our son. We'd like him to start school next year since the boy is already reading quite well and I think it would be good for him to have more opportunities than just daycare can provide. We were on the bus today and he was reading newspaper headlines. I tried to pick out the most neutral or positive ones... none of the ones about shootings or bombs! Not sure I want to try to explain that to my son just yet. Unfortunately, these schools are not in the public system, who absolutely refuse to consider taking him early, and who apparently do not offer any sort of gifted program. I know I sound just like all the other parents who think their child is mega smart and special... but I want to do the best for him and I think this is it. So, yay for reading and hopefully we find a good school and most importantly, that he is happy. I asked him today how he feels about reading and he said it makes him happy. That makes me happy too! Kind of pushes all that negativity back into the shadows. :)

I'm going to quit babbling now... went on quite the little rant there didn't I? Whoops. Oh well... it'll be interesting reading later when I revisit my year of painting A Canvas A Day. Good night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog